Load Full Menu

Interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter at the Camas-Washougal Fire Department?

The Camas-Washougal Fire Department accepts interest requests for volunteer firefighters.

Volunteer Firefighter Interest Form.

Where can I take a CPR/1st Aid class?

The CWFD no longer offers regularly scheduled CPR/1st Aid classes.  If you have a group of 6 people or more, contact our Certified CPR/1st Aid Instructor Charlie Dawson to make class arrangements.  Classes for individuals are regularly held at the Northwest Regional Training Center or through Washougal Community Education.

When I called 911, I asked for an ambulance. Why did a fire truck also respond?

Frequently medical calls require the assistance of more than just the two personnel that arrive on the ambulance. Since all of our staff are medically trained, we frequently utilize the extra personnel from an engine to assist our paramedics. This is in line with federal standards, and allows us to provide the best possible care for the patient.

When I called 911, I asked for a fire truck. Why did an ambulance also respond?

All of our paramedics are also cross-trained as firefighters (they even keep their firefighting gear on the ambulance). Federal standards and state law require that we have a minimum number of personnel on scene before we enter a burning structure or other hazardous incident. If you report a fire incident, it’s common for an ambulance to respond with the fire truck to provide this assistance. This provides safety in numbers and allows us to extinguish your fire more quickly.

Can I burn yard debris? 

No.  The Southwest Clean Air Agency has declared that the City of Camas and other portions of southern Clark County do not meet federal air quality standards, and they have imposed an indefinite burning ban in those areas. For more information visit The Southwest Clean Air Agency website or call 360-574-3058. You may dispose of yard debris by signing up for the Yard Debris Program through Waste Connections at 892-5370.

What is a recreational fire?  Can I have a recreational fire in my backyard?

Yes, recreational fires are permitted IF there is not a Burn Ban in effect.  When there is no ban, recreational fires must meet the following International Fire Code Requirements:

• Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material unless contained in a barbecue pit. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread to within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
• Recreational fires must be under 3'x3'x2' in size and only charcoal or seasoned firewood (not lumber) may be used as fuel.  Recreational fires must be used solely for recreational purposes and may not be used for disposal of yard debris or any other material.   
• Recreational fires may not cause a smoke or odor nuisance to surrounding properties.
• Buckets, shovels, garden hoses or a fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating shall be readily available for use at recreational fires. 
• Recreational fires shall be constantly attended by a person knowledgeable in the use of the fire-extinguishing equipment. An attendant shall supervise a recreational fire until such fire has been extinguished.

Discontinuance. The fire chief is authorized to require that recreational fires be immediately discontinued if such fires are determined by the chief to constitute a hazardous condition.

What are the legal dates and times to purchase and discharge fireworks?  Are the laws the same in Camas and Washougal?

The dates and times allowed for legal purchase and discharge of fireworks are not the same in Camas and Washougal. Note: Camas City Council adopted an ordinance that revised the the schedule in Camas, effective  9/21/16.

How do I report a property with overgrown vegetation?

      If you have a concern about your neighbor’s property, talk to them about your concerns. If that is not an option, and their property is in violation of the code (linked below), you may take the following action: 

        • In the City of Camas: Log on to Camas Connect 24/7 from the City of Camas web site to report a code violation. Note:

            • Tall Grass/Vacant Lot reports will be routed to the Fire Marshal’s Office and;

            • Tall Grass/With Structure reports will be routed to the code enforcement officer at the Camas Police Dept.

          • In the City of Washougal: Please contact the Code Enforcement officer at: 360-835-8501 x609

I need an inspection to see if my wood burning appliance meets code.  Will the fire department conduct this inspection?

No.  Installation of wood burning appliances are regulated by The Camas Building Department.  You may contact the Building Department at 360-817-1568.

I want to remove an underground heating oil tank from my property. What shall I do?

A permit is required from the fire department.  Submit an application along with two copies of a scale drawing of the property (indicating tank, piping and structure locations) to the Fire Marshal's Office.

My child has been starting fires. What shall I do?

Call the Camas-Washougal Fire Department at 360-834-2262.  You may schedule a time to discuss the situation with a department member trained in handling juvenile fire starter problems.


Station 41
616 NE 4th Avenue
Camas, WA  98607

Station 42
4321 NW Parker Street
Camas, WA  98607

Station 43
1400 A Street
Washougal, WA 98671

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
excluding holidays

Dial 911 for all emergencies


Fire Department
Fire Marshal Office

My Camas
Go to top